Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Being Average Sucks

So it was another Tuesday, another PIR. Feeling all right I did the usual: go with a bunch of attacks and attack a bunch myself. And again as usual, I always seemed to attack at the wrong time and got zero points and an average field finish.

Another Wednesday another Mt. Tabor. At this race my secret weapon of swapping out my compact chainring for a normal chainring coupled with my 11/21 cassette sucked the climb out of me. I was barely hanging on in the climbs and got dropped so so hard in the final sprint. Ugh.

Another weekend another set of races. This time in Bend. This time an omnium. Saturday was the crit and I was feeling meh at best. My strategy was to make sure that DeMoe wouldn't win for the third time in a row. I set myself up for a prime with 2 to go and nearly got it with 2 to go. Then DeMoe launched, but then pulled an Evan and pedal-striked and crashed out himself and 5 other chasers. But after the prime sprint I had nothing for the final sprint.

Then there was the time trial where I whipped out another secret weapon, a skinsuit. I ended up getting 11th and midpack which is decent, but again nipped by 7 seconds out of omnium points. At the time I was happy that nobody passed me, but damn I need a full TT setup.

And for the final mundane race of the week, the road race. It's been a while since I've done 60 miles. And again, attack, get caught follow attack, get swallowed, are we at the sprint yet? Get myself to the front of the train for the sprint and get passed to get 12th. 0 omnium points for the weekend. Then, chose between either a frustrated Mindy for not having won in a while either or a pissed off "did-I-seriously-just-crash-because-of-someone-doing-a-power-bike-throw-stretch-in-front-of-me?" Brian to ride with back to Portland. Mindy assigned me to Brian's van.

No comments:

Post a Comment