Saturday, June 28, 2014

Injured

I haven't been out racing for 3 weeks now.  The first of those weeks I was taking a week-long mid-season break like I've done each year.  It was great.  I spent more time with Laurel including going out to Lincoln City with her whole family for the weekend.

The Monday after all that, I was about to get back into my training regime until I fell off my bike on a training ride getting out of a driveway and hit my hip in a weird way.  Like my bad bike maintenance skills, I guess my body also suffered a bit of a breakdown due to not getting massages and not stretching enough or something.  I was in pain and couldn't ride normally and eventually went to see a physical therapist at guess where... shameless plug for a team's sponsor coming up...  Therapeutic Associates!



The pain has been going away much slower than I would like, but it is what it is.  Jordan Brandon has been abusing me and performing witchcraft practicing the art of physical therapy on me for the past 2 weeks.  It's become quite clear that my body could use a break from all this racing since nearly all of my leg muscles and glute muscles are really really sore and tense.  Jordan made me use a foam roller for the first time and it was terrible in a good way.

I appear to be finally getting better.  I just rode for the first time yesterday in 10 days on my commute to work and then to Laurel's via the MAX and it was exhilarating!  I went as fast as 35mph down a hill!  Weeee.  Today I'm going to try to ride a full 90 minutes.

How have I been handling myself with all this not riding?  Looking at computer screens mostly.  I've been working on a website for my wedding and staying slightly later at work just to get stuff done faster.  I think I'm not going to have any problem filling up the void in my life that'll happen when I don't race next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment