Saturday, May 24, 2014

Walla Walla '14

Short and sweet recap.

Friday we drove out with Jeremy, Cristian and we brought along Zak Kovalcik too.  Bart from Seattle joined me in the P/1/2s.  Unfortunately the organizers and flaggers miscommunicated such that they had to cancel the stage.  I was very much looking forward to hanging on for dear life, but we only did a lap instead.  Oh well.


I had a very nice rest at the vacation rental we booked.  And I had a good warmup and TT.  I broke 20 minutes for the first time.



In the crit I did not do the best.  I spent most of the race tailgunning which I realized is especially hard to do at Walla Walla since you're playing catch-up way more than if you just stayed towards the front.  I guess any crit really.  I got pulled with about 5 laps to go.



For dinner we all went out and I actually drank a beer.  I would've abstained, but after seeing how Zak spent the previous evening going to a frat party and still getting top 10 in the crit, I decided maybe 1 beer was ok.


Sunday was the road race and my goal was to survive since I got dropped last year.  I only really ever had trouble on the Kellogg Hollow Rd climb where eventually the last lap the contenders all got away.  I made it in with the peleton and was satisfied with that result.  Still got some fitness to build up, but I'm getting there.



Here is the selection at the finish:


And the rest:


Jeremy from our Cat 3 squad managed to get in a 4 person break that put enough time to earn him 2nd GC. Had he gotten 3rd in the sprint he would've won it. So close! 'til next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment