Wednesday, January 8, 2014

2015 race schedule

It's January and earlier today I was out riding in pouring, near-freezing, foggy rain at 8pm on Cornell on a Tuesday evening.  That is just not my idea of fun.  I'm lazy damnit and I just don't think I want to continue forever with these bike racing training antics, but I signed up for another year, so I better say before it's too late that I won't be taking 2015 racing seriously at all. 

Listed below are the pros of bike racing:
  • Normal people think I'm some sort of superhero, which is kinda cool because I like being respected.
  • Back when I started 4 years ago it was my excuse for not drinking so heavily so frequently (actually I didn't drink anything for over a year)
  • I get to challenge myself and fight to persevere
  • Winning does feel good
But the cons of racing are many!!
  • Costs lots and lots of money
  • Takes up hours of time every day
  • It sucks when you or your team don't win for a long period of time
  • Training during the winter in the Pacific Northwest is mostly unfun
  • I have competing desires such as
    • Trying to keep up a good relationship with my girlfriend
    • Trying to have any other friends at all
    • Working on computer programming ideas I have
    • My real-life job which I make vastly more money every week than I do during the entire bike racing season
    • Side jobs that also make more money than bike racing
    • Community service projects

The big thing is that I currently train 7 days a week and have very little time for anything else.  I'm not going to completely stop riding a bike, I'll likely still commute every once in a while and definitely get out on the weekends and even hit up some PIRs here and there and even some other races that I typically enjoy.  I just feel like the amount I gain from devoting a huge part of my life to racing isn't enough to justify that expenditure.

So, with that, I present to you my 2015 racing schedule:

February:

Worst Day of the Year Ride or maybe the FHR

March-May:

Nothing, except maybe a PIR on a sunny day if I feel like it.

June or July or whenever this thing is:

Krivoklatsko Peklo which is a bicycle race in my dad's hometime in the Czech Republic.  At some point in my life I need to do this race.

August:

Eugene Celebration because I just really like this race.

September:

Mt. Ashland Hill Climb because I like to visit my grandparents in Ashland.


No comments:

Post a Comment