Tuesday, March 8, 2011

DJStroky is back, watch out you lousy motorists!

So, here's an update.

Last weekend I was still feeling sick. Or was I? Whatever it was I felt a bit sinused up but really demotivated. I didn't feel like cranking the pedals around and didn't race over the weekend. Earlier in the week I went to see a doc who diagnosed me with a sinus infection and hustled me some antibiotics.

I took 'dem antibiotics and have been trying some other stuff too. Via a google search, I found this website www.earthclinic.com which says you should take Apple Cider Vinegar for every single ailment know to mankind. I tried it sporadically, but it tastes very bad. My coach is all about the garlic. He said I should work up to eating a bulb a day when I'm sick. I also tried this Emergen-C powder which has like 800% daily value Vitamin C and a bunch of Calcium and Vitamin D. Over the weekend I was doing ok in combating all this. Was drinking lots of water, taking the Emergen-C with a splash of ACV twice a day, eating maybe 1/2 bulb of garlic over the day and popping the pills.

It has finally seemed to work. Yesterday I had a good ride out to Sauvie Island and back and didn't cough up a storm. And today I did a bunch of hill intervals and felt like I did a bunch of hill intervals but not worse than that. However, I finally knew that I was back in it when my alleycatting blood shot through me. I was riding east on Burnside and have found that if I maintain a good pace, I can hit all green lights all the way from I-405 to the Burnside bridge. I was doing just so weaving in and out of traffic. I got down to Chinatown and there was some event with a bunch of people going on on the right.

Now in Portland, drivers almost always know how to deal with bicyclists - even at night. This means that if a bicyclist is on the right and a driver wants to turn right, the driver will wait - stopping in the road for the bicyclist to pass - it's pretty awesome. However, for whatever reason, this n00b normal anywhere except in Portland driver was clearly not paying attention to my presence to their right and was certainly not aware of my bold quest to hit all the green lights on Burnside. NO NO, that hoppin party with all the people on the right was far more important. So much so that they made a right turn in front of me slowly scouting out how awesome the hoppin party was and if there happened to be a parking spot exactly in front of the hoppin party. Well, my alleycatting blood shot up. I sprinted out in front of the car - while flipping them off (I'm not sure if I did it right since it was a balancing act) - and got back on the green wave and made it to the Burnside bridge with all greens! BOOSH!

At that point, I had one of those "I probably shouldn't have done that" moments. Anonymous driver, if you are reading this, I am sorry. But anyways, I realized that I'm back in the game and am looking forward to getting back on my training plan and race schedule.

This weekend I'm planning on going up to Tacoma to race with the Tacoma Bike team at Sequim and Mason Lake. Really looking forward to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment