Monday, February 24, 2014

Stumptown Birkebeiner 2014


Who knew that racing would start so soon for me this year?  Or rather, who would've thought that it would snow over a foot over 3 days in Portland in February?  Well, it did and I took full advantage of it and ignoring emergency alerts and travel advisories by getting out on my xc skis and getting around a white Portland.

Thursday night, the snow came down and I rode my bike home rather inefficiently, so instead I got out the skis and headed down to waterfront park for some awesome xc skiing.

Friday I skied to and from work, on the way back I was able to ski the whole way without taking off the skis.

Saturday I joined a bunch of other people at this event I found out via pdx pipeline.  The event was the Stumptown Birkebeiner a play on this huge xc ski event in Minnesota or Norway or something.  It was pretty cool cause I ran into two of my new teammates.  Andy snapped this picture that I am a little embarrassed to be posting on the internet.  The race course consisted of skiing up two blocks alongside Wallace City Park and then back.  I skiied in the not beginner-but not elite category and got 7th or so.  My wax was terrible, probably due to going over a bunch of asphalt.


On Sunday I ended up skiing from Beaverton to Portland.  It was a lot of fun!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment