Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Racing Like an Idiot

Stage 1 of the Baker City Cycling Classic seemed to start out as it did last year with a lot of action to see who would be the morons that would breakaway at mile 12 of the 72 mile race. I guess I just couldn't help myself, I was up there seeing what would happen and I saw that nobody was going after one of the original protagonists who was going hard on the front, so I bridged up. Some other guy followed me too and it was the three of us - these two Idaho guys and me.

I did expect us to build up a bit of a gap and it was 50 seconds, then 2 minutes then we got to the hill. We made up the hill with the pack nowhere to be seen, so this break had a really good chance of making it. Going down the hill we heard a report of 2:50 and we knew we had a great opportunity, but I knew those remaining hills that never seem to end were still ahead. When those hills came, I sat on the back almost the entire time barely holding on. Climbing up what seemed to be one of the final hills, the follow car came up and told us 1:15 and we got a bit worried but he said this was the very last hill. So I sort of foolishly attempted to pull, but my breakmates still set the pace. That last hill did not end around the next wind at all! It kept going and I got dropped at the next wind around the hill, but at this point we were still way ahead of the pack.

Luckily, the hills finally ended and I began descending and watching the other two guys ride away. I time trialed the best I could and got 1:14 behind the leaders and nearly 3 minutes ahead of the pack. All in all, I was rather stoked about getting 3rd place in my first p12 race.

Photo Credit: Vitek Siroky

Time Trial

Not much really to say with the time trial. I still haven't been able to get the TT bike setup and it just seems like I can't get to my upper z5 heart rate in a TT. At least my disc wheel didn't flat.

Photo Credit: Vitek Siroky

The Crit

In the Crit I missed the break. I saw Erik Slack go and then Liberles chasing after Slack and then I didn't see those guys again until they came up from behind after lapping the field. Nothing got organized and I was slightly confused and stupid going into the final sprint because the lap board definitely said one to go, but that was for the leaders, so I ended up sprinting all out on the 2nd lap and then had nothing on the actual final lap.

Photo Credit: Vitek Siroky

Mt. Dooley Tour d'Horn

I certainly regret the move I made on this final race. Initially I had thought I'd try to get in the very first idiotic break and hope to win the overall. However, I didn't think I was warmed up enough when that break went, so I didn't make it in that break. I tried to get away a few times and eventually did at mile 20 and nobody followed me. I worked alone until I caught a dropped Bob's rider. Then on the climb to the feed zone I dropped Bob's and the field caught me right at the feed zone.

I thought I could hang on, but after the attacks that Lang Reynolds and Erik Slack threw down, I just couldn't make it up the hill to the long downhill with anyone. I was dropped for good and was all alone. I pretty much didn't see another racer or a hint of a bike race except for the 2nd feed zone until the climb where I believe I saw Trevor Spahr waving at me from atop another switchback. I had ran completely out of food too once I hit the climb. By the time I got to the finish I was 26 minutes back.

After the race, I had some good conversation with Sam Krieg, one of my breakmates from day 1, who did think my move was crazy, but that it was good that I raced my bike. I dunno, I've heard this sentiment from a few others and do think that tactics are a part of racing your bike and that sometimes the best way to race your bike is to sit in. And that is something I do think I need to practice doing more often.

Photo Credit: Vitek Siroky

For the Record, Erik Slack is a Badass

Erik Slack winning Stage 1
Photo Credit: Vitek Siroky

Stage 1: Erik Slack starts out the day long break. At mile 50 in the race, his rear wheel is definitely wobbling out of true. He then proceeds to win the race. After the race, it becomes apparent that the reason his wheel is out of true is because a spoke is broken on his rear wheel.
Stage 2: OK, so the TT isn't Erik's thing, but he only loses a minute to the winner Sam Krieg.
Stage 3: Laps the field and then wins the sprint.
Stage 4: Pulls the field for almost the entire race. Counters all attacks and winds up 4th place at only 41 seconds back. He wins the overall a full 50 seconds ahead of Krieg and nearly 4 minutes ahead of 3rd place. Erik earned the overall jersey and if there were a sprinter's jersey or hillclimber's jersey he would have won those too.

More Idiocy at PIR

Yes, it all continues again at this Tuesday's PIR. I got in an early break with Klipper which was really good because he was yelling instructing me to sit in when the break got a little slow. That break got caught probably because Rapha didn't have anyone in it. Then Eddie got in a break and I started to get really ancy. When the pace sort of slowed for a bit, Klipper and Liberles launched off and I followed. Klipper couldn't handle it and wished me good luck. Eventually Liberles, a Theraputic guy and myself all made it up to the break.

Once I made it to the break, I think I was actually being smart through the next hot spot which I contested in a reasonable fashion against Bedford, Liberles and Eddie French. I got 4th in that hot spot, but then I started to act like an idiot. I attempted to breakaway right after that hot spot and Bedford was the only person to take me up on that while the rest of the break chased us down. Then I tried all these other attacks for reasons I can't quite explain now, except for the all out sprint with 3 laps to go where I seriously thought we were on the final lap. All the while, some other Team O and a Theraputic guy were riding away for the win from the break. On the final lap, wherever I was, it was a bad position and in the final 400 I tried to lead the last splinter of the break up which included Eddie, but that entire splinter passed me at the finish so I got dead last in that break.


I guess I'm at a point where I'm really strong, but really dumb not smart enough. Getting myself into breaks though is pretty much my only strategy thus far, but once it comes to actually sprinting I am way outclassed. In the last 3 successful breaks I've got myself into, I've gotten dead last in each of them. I need to wise up really quick and I am very happy to be surrounded by much smarter teammates who will hopefully guide me towards the path of enlightenment in all these upcoming crits.

No comments:

Post a Comment