Saturday, January 29, 2011

Weightlifting thus far

Today I just completed the last "Strength" phase of weightlifting. For the past month or so I've been pumping the iron hard trying to lift as much as I can safely. And before this I've been lifting 3 days a week every week since the beginning of October.

When I started out I was lifting really light. I didn't even begin doing squats for a while. And when I did it was just the bar to begin with. I've been focused on 3 core leg lifts: Step Ups, Squats and Leg Press. In all of these I began with body weight, the bar and the leg press machine without weight respectively. Progressively I've been adding more and more weight.

Today was probably the last time I will focus on lifting the maximum weight possibly as next week I'll begin doing higher-rep lifting. I finished strong today posting new records for weight in the Squat and Leg Press. On the 6th set of 5 reps, I lifted 250 pounds in the squat and 700 in the leg press if the machine alone is 210.

For nearly all other lifts, I've just been doing a high amount of reps just so the muscles get a good burning. I find it pretty funny that I'm lifting 4 plates in the squat and still burning the pecs with 95 pounds total.

I just got one more month of lifting and then I'm done and I'm looking forward to that. Going to the gym and lifting involves a lot of transition time - changing clothes, travel to/from the gym, setting up the machines, etc. Once I'm just biking there will probably be some more free time for me - I'm hoping.

No comments:

Post a Comment